The first session with the singers was a great success! The materials I had prepared for the session included printed images taken from the spectrogram, a sheet of words I had collected from quotes made by Amy Johnson, a collection of lists of pitch information to match up with the spectrogram images and the sound art I had made from the Greenwich field recordings. I also gave a description of Amy Johnson and an explanation as to why I had chosen to feature her in this project. With all of this information, we began to build the composition together. The singers really embraced this way of composing and felt excited to be able to contribute their ideas. I found it most interesting how each of us would interpret the same image in such different ways. Using the images as essentially the graphic score for the piece together we collaborated to compose the piece.
See below an example of what we were working with!